Friday, May 10, 2013

Mom(s)

As we approach Mother's Day, I can't help but think of all the Moms who have helped shape my life. I have been blessed to have an abundance of women in my life that have taught me so much. Two most important are the ones I call Mom. God showed favor on me and not only gave me a biological mother but also an "adopted" one. Two women I could never replace and could not imagine life without. 
My Mom Amber gave me the greatest gift of all outside of life itself. She taught me about God. She not only told me about faith but she showed me how to live by faith. She shared with me at a young age who The Lord was and how his love would transform my life. No matter what happened in our family or the trials she faced as a young wife and mother she never doubted Gods love. She made sure we knew of him and his commitment to us. She taught me forgiveness like God forgives. She showed me love like Jesus loves. This is the ultimate gift! Like most Moms mine made her mistakes but the one thing she never wavered on was her faith. Thank you Mom!
My second "adopted" Mom, Kim, was a gift from God! She stepped into my life when I needed her the most. She loved me from day one and has never stopped, no matter the worry and heartache I caused her. She has guided me and helped shape me into the woman I am today. She's been tough when I needed it but didn't want it. She has always know when I needed that extra bit of love and attention, even when I didn't. I thank God everyday that he picked Kim for me! I love you Mom!!
There have been several other women who have helped me grow and learn. Connie took me into her home when I couldn't stay with my parents any longer. She had a house full already, 5 other kids ranging from 17-8. But without a second though she took me in and took care of me as her own, with zero compensation. She knew I was in need and nurtured me at a very viral time in my life (age 15). 
As I got older and "knew it all" I moved from Connie's in with a friend. When that didn't workout another amazing woman stepped in, Marci. I was friends with her daughter and started staying over a lot. Next thing I knew I was living with them. Marci was welcoming and loving. She listened and gave me advice that to a 17yr old actually made sense. One Christmas Marci made sure I felt like a part of the family by not only letting me spend the holiday with them but by getting me a stocking and lots of gifts. 
Since I've been on my own I've witnessed many woman closer to my age be Moms. Although they weren't motherly to me I've learned from them. I've seen what it looks like to be a Mom through their behaviors. 
My best friend April for one. She started early and has had many struggles being a single Mom for a large part of her parenting life. No matter what she has had unconditional love for her kids. She made many sacrifices so they could have a better life. Another great example is my friend Pricilla. She has been so inspiring to me over the years and four kids later. Her patients, understanding and overall calmness has shown me what to work towards. The thing is with Pricilla is her love and faith in Christ. She trusts The Lord with her family and knows he will provide. She doesn't have to tell you this you can just see it in her. 
And most recently my friend Heather has shown me what it looks like to be a new Mom. The level of commitment it takes to raise a child and continue to grow a marriage. She makes being awife and   mother look easy, although I know it is not. 

I want to thank all the Moms in my life, the ones mentioned here and the others I did not, I hold them all very dear to heart.

As I venture into this new stage in my life of Motherhood, I pray that God will help me be half the Mom these women have been. I will take from each one of them something special and in my own way apply it to being the best Mom I can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment