Saturday, September 26, 2009

What does age really matter?

Age is a funny thing. People get so worried about getting older. It’s not like it sneaks up on us; each year we’re reminded we get older. This is why I did not understand the concern people had for me when I turned 30. Most of my friends have already turned 30 and this did not change who they were. I know and love who I am; getting older is not going to change that. I have always looked at getting older as a good thing. The older I get the more I learn. The older I get the closed I am to finding someone special, getting married and starting a family.

That thought is what leads me to write today. When was an age stamp placed on marriage and family? How did we get to believe we should to be married or have kids by a certain age? I’m sure part of it has to do with our grandparents who married young. However, that was normal back then; marring your high school sweetheart as soon as you graduate. Things changed when our parents came along. Many of them waited to marry until they got onto their 20’s. However, not that it really matters, majority of them are divorced now.

Being single and 30 brings about much discussion about marriage and kids. Older people respond by telling me they are sorry. As if I should be ashamed for being so old and single. Middles aged people tell me to stay single that marriage sucks. The younger crowd just ask me why. Why, is a good question. I could be married and have kids by now –if I was willing to settle. I want more then a companion or house mate. I want love! I want to be 90 and still look forward to waking up and spending the day with my husband. I want to experience all aspects of life and growth with the man I marry. So, I do not worry about how old I will be when I meet my Mr. Right and get married. Yes, there is a time limit on birthing children but there is not limit on adopting a child who needs two loving parents. Age should not matter on life events. What matters is that we are doing what is right and being true to our self. We cannot put an age on things that are so close to our being such as love, friendship, or experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment